The New York Metro, Philadelphia Metro, and Houston chapters of the Society of Technical Communication (STC) have announced the call for entries and call for judges for the 2013-2014 Regional TechComm Competition. The competition is open to anyone, student or professional, who produces technical communication, training material, or content for the web and other devices. Work may be entered as a team, an individual, or on behalf of a colleague. The competition is open to members and non-members of STC and focuses on technical communication content in four areas:
- Instructional Materials such as eLearning, mobile learning, workbooks, wikis, social media, facilitator guides, instructional animations, videos, student guides, tutorials and webinars.
- User Support Materials such as performance support, online help, mobile help, job aids, quick start or reference guides, reference documents, user guides and websites.
- Promotional Materials including websites, brochures, catalogs, fliers, and posters.
- Informational Materials such annual reports, articles, books, error messages, magazines, newsletters, periodicals, posters, research papers and websites.
Participants may enter procedural, support, or promotional content published or substantially revised within 24 months prior to September 1, 2013. According to competition organizers, “The Regional TechComm Competition provides a showcase to help our regional chapters encourage the arts and sciences of technical communication. You can participate by submitting an entry, or by applying to judge the competition.”
Professionals interested in submitting entries will benefit from:
- Detailed evaluations from judges; objective peer evaluation that supports continuous improvement
- Method validation and earned visibility
- Awards and tangible recognition of achievement
Volunteers who judge competition entries gain from:
- Viewing the latest trends in technical communication, instructional design, promotional, informational and user support materials
- Exposure to new ideas
- Opportunity to discuss content development and design with professional peers.
Organizers are seeking competition judges with good experience in technical writing, learning design, editing, developing documentation or marketing communications, technical illustration, video editing, and design. The co-hosting chapters will offer extensive training, and will assign more experienced judges as Team leaders to provide guidance for the assessment process.
The competition strongly encourages online entries. Entry fees are:
- Student $25.00
- STC Member (NY, PM or Houston) $50.00
- Member (Other Chapter or Community) $75.00
- Non-STC Member $100.00
Those wishing to submit physical entries must add a $10.00 shipping charge per entry.
The deadline for submitting entries to the STC Regional TechComm Competition is Thursday, October 17, 2013, at 3.00 pm EST. The deadline to apply to judge the competition is Monday, September 30, 2013. More detailed information is available on the competition website, at Call for Entries and Call for Judges.
To see the work of past winners, review the 2013 TechComm Roadshow presentations and recordings.