Happy Independence Day from the friendly folks at TechWhirl. Yes, we know Canada Day was the 1st of July and other Independence Days occur at other times during the year but since our main servers and the owners are in the United States we’re recognizing today.
Looking more closely at independence as a concept, our friends at reference.com define it as follows:
- not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
- not subject to another’s authority or jurisdiction; autonomous; free: an independent businessman.
- not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
- not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
- not relying on another or others for aid or support.
Independence is some pretty challenging stuff and it takes a lot to get there but it’s often worth the journey. Today, we celebrate not only the birthday of the United States but the challenges that all people face when working to live a free and independent life.