Looking forward to a long weekend of packing, toting, lugging, and tossing? Me too. In between boxing up dishes and marking stuff to donate, I should able to find time to check in on TechWhirl to see who’s talking about what we published this week.
If you’re not packing up stuff for a move or a vacation (or unpacking for that matter), take a break and check out the new poll, user guide template and Tech Writer This Week. Lots of free time on your hands? Contact us to fill up some of that free time with writing for TechWhirl as a member of the Special Writers Unit. To get in touch, just drop us a note and let us know what kinds of topics you’re most interested. And don’t forget to stop by the email discussion list for helpful, interesting, and occasionally cantankerous viewpoints on all things tech comm.
Now where did I put the Styrofoam® peanuts?
Have a great weekend!
-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
Tech Writer This Week is content curated from around the Internet. In this edition: Pontification, Tips & Tricks, Career and Job Search and we even threw our old friend DITA a bone.
The User Guide (aka User Manual) provides the information and instructions needed to set up and use a product. A User Guide includes written and visual information (such as diagrams or screen shots) to assist the user in completing tasks associated with the product (or service), organized along functional or workflow lines.
This week’s poll question and discussion in the comments request: Can structured authoring be used for more than technical publications (please vote)? Then in what industry and why (comments) or if you think technical documentation is the only documents that really work, why?
Technical Communication News:
- Vasont ST 2.8 CCMS Enhances Editorial and Publishing Processes
- NJIT Offers Technical Communication Essentials Online Graduate Certificate Program
Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:
- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes | http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click | http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time | http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box | http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu